Mark 9:17-24New International Version (NIV)
A man in the crowd answered, “Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech. Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit, but they could not.”
“You unbelieving generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me.”
So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth.
Jesus asked the boy’s father, “How long has he been like this?”
“From childhood,” he answered. “It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.”
“‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.”
Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”
Man will ALWAYS do whatever he WANTS to do as long as he is physically capable of doing it.
ADMIT that we only want to want to.
IDENTIFY the issues that keep us from surrendering.
Why I Don’t Want To Surrender List
- Mark 9:24 – “I do believe, help me overcome my unbelief!”
- Proverbs 29:23 – Pride will ruin people, but those who are humble will be honored.
- Matthew 19:29 NLT – And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or property, for my sake, will receive a hundred times as much in return and will inherit eternal life.
- PAST HURTS
- Isaiah 61:1 NLT – He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted
- Isaiah 41:10 NIV – So do not fear, for I am with you , do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.