2015 Word – ABIDE .
2016 Word – SURRENDER .
Romans 12:1-2 the Message
So here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and surrender it to God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.
SURRENDER is NOT DEFEAT .
SURRENDER is more like OFFERING ourselves.
Is It ALL?
A – ATTENTION .
Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out.
“You cannot fulfill God’s purposes for your life while focusing on your own plans. ”
– Rick Warren, The Purpose Driven Life
- Is my focus more on my plans than God’s?
- Do I consistently seek to know and to do the will of God in the practical, daily matters of life?
- Is there anything God has shown me to be His will that I have been neglecting or refusing to obey?
L – LOVE .
Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him.
- Do I love Christ and His kingdom more than this earth and its pleasures? Is there anything or anyone that I am more devoted to than Christ?
- Are my desires, appetites, and longings under Christ’s control?
L – LIFE .
Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and surrender it to God as an offering
Luke 6:46 NLT “So why do you keep calling me ‘Lord, Lord!’ when you don’t do what I say?
- Are any parts of my body – eyes, ears, hands, feet, mouth – being used to sin against God?
- Have I ever consciously acknowledged Christ’s ownership of my life?
- Are there any “compartments” of my life over which I am reserving the right to control?